Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Minorities

I just read this, and thought it was fascinating. I've known, as have many of you I would assume, for a long time that the fastest growing group in the US was the Lantino's. Also it's been widely reported that like Europe our population would be falling if it were not for immigrants, but check out these numbers. They really put it into perspective.

US population: 296.4 million people
White population: 195.5 million, with annual growth around 500k.
Latino population: 42.7 million, with annual growth of 3.3%
Black population: 39.7 million, with annual growth of 1.3%
Asian population: 14.4 million, with annual growth of 3%
Indians & Eskimos: 4.5 million, with annual growth of 1%
Native Hawaiians: 990,000, with annual growth of 1.5%

The youngest members of our population show the greatest disparity of population. Forty-Five percent of American preschoolers are non white. I don't really have an opinion on this, I just find the numbers extremely fascinating. You can read the article I got this from at the link below.

BBC News

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Minorities...please check this stuff before you publish it.

The Guinness Tooth said...

hey read my intro up top. i have a typo disclaimer.