Monday, June 19, 2006

Hello Canada

Let me tell you a little story about my brother Cody.



He went to Montreal with a few of his friends this weekend (Thursday-Sunday), and in a style all his own, managed to have his wallet, cell-phone and SHOES stolen. I have no idea why anyone would want his shoes, but they did. Due to the fact none of you know my brother, you don't have any idea how funny this is. Cody is a kid (19) that looses everything. Or at least he had for a while. I haven't misplaced sneakers in years, yet I can recall Cody loosing sneakers as recently as this past winter. Cody has little locater buzzers jammed in his wallet, and glued to the back of his cell-phone, because he looses them so often. I love my brother, as I should, but I can't help to think it is hysterical that at 19 years old he is still dealing with problems I haven't dealt with since I was in the 5th grade. I have no idea how he is so damn forgetful.

From what he relayed to me he was swimming at the hotel pool, where he was staying, and left his wallet and phone inside of his sneakers by the side of the pool. At some point someone managed to simply walk along and take his stuff, which is truly unfortunate. This was Friday morning, and left him with no ID, and no money. I had told him, more than once, to bring his passport. I know they aren't required to cross the border, yet, but they will be soon, and I figured better safe than sorry. But, he didn't listen to me, and now he didn't have any form of ID, and who knows what kind of trouble he'd have at the border. Not to mention the lack of any money. And now for the good news...

In a stroke of genius, I decided to contact Cody's cell phone. I sent a text message that went something like this, "Hey Assface, Quebecois, give my bro his stuff back." As you can see with heaps of charm and cultural tolerance I fully expected this person to turn around, and return Cody's belongings. <<---Sarcasm (in case you missed it). But, to my surprise I got a phone call Saturday morning from a girl wanting to give Cody his phone back. She wasn't the one who had taken the stuff, or so she claimed, but she did have his phone. She said she found it in a bar. I gave her number to my mother, who in turn gave it to Cody, who then called the girl, met up with her, and received his cell phone. She didn't have an accent, and claimed to be a college student, which leads to me assume she wasn't French Canadien (<-- notice the French spelling), and possibly wasn't even Canadian. Perhaps she dislikes the Quebecois, perhaps she was just being nice. Who knows? What I would like to do is say thank you Canada. First you gave us Fries with Gravy, which I'll never stop loving you for. Then you gave us the McKenzie brothers, with I stoped loving you for years ago. And, now, in an act of karma never before seen from someone called assface, you returned my brothers cell phone.

No comments: