Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Fast Day on the Highway.

In keeping with my recent barrage of car related posts, I had a pleasant day on the highway today.

We have this highway in Connecticut called the Merrit Parkway if you are traveling north, the Wilbur Cross Parkway if you are traveling south, and if you are traveling north of Meriden, it is known as the Berlin Turnpike. Regardless of the direction, it is Rt. 15. I suppose all that can be confusing for someone not in the area, but let me continue.

The highway is a wonderful highway, with no trucks or trailers allowed. The entire thing is two lanes, and can be quite windy at certain sections; this is why no trucks are allowed. It is one of the oldest modern highways in the nation, and is nationally recognized as something or other.

Have you ever had one of those days on the highway where everybody around you is driving 80+mph, and it is no big deal? I had one of those days, and it was wonderful. I love it when everyone can drive safe at high speeds. Too often there are groups of people that want to drive 55mph, while everyone else is trying to do 75+mph, but not today. It was quite relaxing to be free to drive at a highspeed without worrying about slow people.

The other day I heard a commercial on the radio that was a petition to have an American Autobahn. I got sooooo excited to have someplace where people would be allowed to drive at extreme speeds, but then at the end of the commercial my hopes were dashed. Turns out they were tricking me, and they were selling tires or something. Bastards!!!!

The funny thing is that some days I love a slow highway just as much if not more than a fast highway. The days where everybody is doing the opposite of the above mentioned can be just as enjoyable as the fast days. Driving 55 is not an issue so long as you're not in constant competition with the jackass trying to pass you on the right at 80, and weaving in between cars.

As long as I get where I want to be without having to deal with idiots, I'm happy.



I don't expect anybody reading this to be at all amused by my day of driving, nor do I expect you to even care. I just needed something to wright about, and this was on my mind. 'Till tomorrow (or whenever).

No comments: