Monday, July 03, 2006

Good Samaritan

Every now and then I feel the need to do something good for society at large. Today was one of those days where I felt a need to be a do-gooder.

I was driving along the highway, behind this old Dodge Caravan that looked like shit. The guy driving it was all over the place, swerving left, then right, accelerating, decelerating. Pretty much he was doing everything that would lead someone to believe the driver was drunk. I followed him down an off ramp that led to another highway, and passed him at the end. While passing him I looked over and the dude's eyes were shut. Typically good driving requires open eyes. I gave him the benefit of the doubt, and drove on. I looked in my rear view mirror and he almost took out this old woman in Volvo while changing lanes. I didn't see the guy use a turn signal once, and he made appox. 25-30 lane changes in about 5 minutes. He then came hurdling past me at about 100mph (in an effin' minivan!!!). Then he went off the left side of the highway into the dirt, and then came back on the road.

At that point I was freaking out, and wanted to run this guy off the road (for safeties sake). But, I figure I was better off calling the cops. I dialed 911, told them where we were, the make and model of his car, and what he was doing. I then got off the next exit (he kept going), figuring job well done.

Thirty to forty minutes later I was driving home (backtracking), and what do I see? Four squad cars surrounding the same minivan. The crazy thing is, in order for him to get where he was, he would have had to go to the next exit and back track about 10 miles. I find it really hard to believe this guy made it that far. He was driving with his eyes closed, and obviously drunk.

How many times have you seen an asshole on the highway, and prayed he'd get pulled over, but never actually have a way to find out. I know I feel that way nearly everyday. I guess today was my lucky day.

1 comment:

March2theSea said...

Well done man! You saved someones life that day..including the dope driving.