Thursday, July 13, 2006

Feeding the Homeless.

Although I often claim the higher ground when it comes to issues involving the poor and downtrodden, I rarely ever do anything about it. I go on and on about the problems in Africa, and the lack help coming from NA and EU, but I don't do anything. The same goes for home grown problems. I didn't donate anything after Hurricane Katrina. I just it's just not in me to donate money to organizations I can't follow. I'd be willing to work in Africa, or would've helped out in New Orleans. I want to see where my money is going, and today I followed through on that. I bought a dirty old homeless guy lunch.

I had to walk past the guy a few times, going in and out of a store, and then back to my car. Each time he asked for change, and I said I didn't have any. (I really didn't have any.) Finally I was heading in for lunch and I told him I'd get him some change from that, and he asked if I'd buy him some food. I had some extra money and agreed. He wanted a well-done cheeseburger, not a problem. The guy was extremely grateful for the food. He said something to the effect of "Thank you so much, and God bless you." He then retreated into his alley hideaway.

My only fear is he will remember me. I remember him, he is always in the same area. I've seen him countless times, I've even given him a dollar or two before. I just don't want to have to avoid the guy in the future, in order to avoid buying him food on a regular basis.
















Not the actual homeless dude.

2 comments:

March2theSea said...

if you get netflix rent the documentay called "Dark Days". Its about these homeless people that live int he tunnels of the NYC train system. They have houses down there, electricity, stoves etc. Amazing watch.

Anonymous said...

I feed the homeless all of time and they usually don't bother me if I see them again. There is one man that I feed often because I worry for him. If I see him, I ask him if he's okay and sometimes he says yes but when he says no I know he needs something to eat. We usually go to the store and I let him stock up on food. I just can't let anyone go hungry when I have more than enough. You know what I mean?