Wednesday, July 26, 2006

A Bat?

Two nights ago I was driving home, at around 11:45. I wouldn't say I live in a rural area, but it can be wooded. I see animals all the time, I saw a coyote earlier that day. I see deer on a regular basis, and dead raccoons and opossums are a regular sight on the side of the road. What I don't see often are Bats. Well I saw one the other night, and I was the last thing it saw. First the details. I was coming around a corner on a very secluded/ dark road, and what did I see in front of me? It was either a) a gigantic moth b) a retarded bird or c) a bat. I tried to slow down, thinking it would fly away as I got near, but it didn't. If you haven't seen a bat fly you need to realize how bad they appear to be at it when feeding. They fly very much like a moth, they are all over the place, and they look like they have no control over their direction. But, it only looks that way because they are flying around chasing bugs. When they are headed to or from their roost, they can fly just fine. Back to the story, I slowed down, but the thing didn't move, and before I could do anything about it C (the bat) whaped right into my bumper. Because of the area, I didn't want to go back to look for the bat, I just drove home (about 1/2 mile away), and checked for bat guts on my car. Thankfully there was none. I always thought it was strange when you'd see bird get hit by cars, but this takes the car. I don't think I've ever seen a dead bat on the road, or heard of one getting hit by a car.

No comments: