Thursday, August 10, 2006

Disappointment.

Have you ever wanted something more than anything else in the world, only to either get it, or encounter it, and end up completely hating it? That happened to me today. I was standing outside my fathers office about to get in my car when a Lamborghini Diablo drove by.

Growing up, I had 4 posters on the walls in my bedroom. One featured a whole bunch of jets (not the football team), another a whole bunch of whales and other assorted cetaceans, another featured a Lamborghini Countach, but my favorite was my poster of a red Lamborghini Diablo. To me this was the greatest car ever. My dream was to be a pro baseball player so I could have enough money to buy a Diablo. I gave up baseball, I never gave up the dream of owning a Lamborghini, even if it wasn't the Diablo.

Back to the Diablo I saw today. I've seen plenty of cool cars on the road, including Lamborghinis. Just last autumn I saw a Miura and a Countach in the same day. I thought they both looked great. Everything about them was perfect. Even with though the Countach is one of the ugliest cars of all time, I loved it; because it's a good ugly, it's a wonderful ugly, it's the best ugly there is. Sadly the Diablo was just plain ugly. Something about it didn't tug on those heartstrings the way it did when I was 10. Not only did it look terrible, it sounded terrible. I know it has a massive V12 engine, but it sounded like farm equipment, it sounded like a Tractor. (And I'm not just saying that because Lamborghini started off as a Tractor company.) Nothing about the Diablo was as I wished it to be. Another dream down the drain.

PS: I'm pretty sure I also saw an Aston Martin DB2 (circa mid '50s) today, but that seems rather unlikely due to their rarity.

4 comments:

March2theSea said...

those are great cars...

on my way to work now there is a new "Ferrari" and "Maserati" dealership. I crank my neck over to have a look. Some day I'd love to just walk the lot and check stuff out. They have about 2 Ferraris outside (on nice days) but when I come home at night the lot is totally empty! Someday I tell myself..someday

The Guinness Tooth said...

There is a place a few towns over from where I am that services old Ferraris. Only once have I seen a car newer than 10 years old, and that was a recent Scaglietti 512. Other than that it is all mid 60s to early 70s Ferraris. They have one showroom that has probably 4 cars in it, and I bet those 4 cars are worth about $4 Million combined. And yes everytime I drive by I'm on the verge of crashing.

The Guinness Tooth said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Guinness Tooth said...

No it wasn't a 512 I saw (at the dealer), it was an F360. Don't know how I confused those two.