Monday, January 05, 2009

Embarrassing? Yes. Funny? No.

Last January I recounted an incident that happened to me. I more or less know all the people that I know that read this blog. In other words, as far as I know, none of my close (or not so close) real world friends know this exists aside from those I've shared it with. Apparently I shared it with a Norwegian cousin of mine and then forgot about it. This typically wouldn't be a big deal, but she found the above linked story to be so funny she felt the need to share it with a few friends and other relatives. Initially she didn't think it was a big deal, we're an ocean apart. Lets skip ahead to Christmas this year. 

My cousin made a cookbook for her mother, her grandmother and some other people. Seeing as it was made for Norwegians, by a Norwegian, the whole cookbook was written in Norwegian. Except for one page. She had accidentally mixed a copy of my blog post in with the recipes. A family recipe book with many classic family recipes from both the US and Norway, and one story of extremely unfortunate bathroom humor. This wouldn't have been so bad if her mother wasn't currently living in the US, and she wasn't spending Christmas here. At a small party the Saturday after Christmas this recipes book was passed around for a good deal of my family to see. Seeing as most of us don't speak (or read Norwegian) we just flipped through the book until we came to the lone page written in English, which was my story. Normally I don't embarrass easily, but there was this one woman (my grandmother's cousin) that wouldn't shut up and keep trying to read the story aloud, after she found out I had written it. I've got to admit I was more embarrassed by the typos and spelling mistakes than the actual story. I supposed I should do a better job of proofreading my blog entries in the future. Regarding the recipe book: It doesn't matter now, all the copies, save for one, have now returned to Norway. 

No comments: