Tuesday, December 02, 2008

How I waste my time.

If there is one thing I'm better than most people at, it is wasting time. Lately I've felt like all my wasting of time has gotten out of hand. I need to find a way to waste my time and still be of some benefit to someone. That is when I stumbled across Google Image Labeler. It's a game of sorts that Google came up with to get people to properly label images. I haven't done any research on it (that'd be wasting time in the wrong way), but from what I have gathered it is so that more people agree upon what an image actually is, therefore making it easier for people to search for images. 

How to play: you are paired up with another person playing the game and they two of you have 2 minutes to agree upon labels for as many pictures as possible. The make it more difficult by having a list of tags that are already established and don't reward you with points. When you and your partner agree on a label you get a chance to attempt a second, third, fourth, or however many pictures you can label in that two minutes. Sometimes you work with someone great and you can label up ten or so pictures, and then other times you are paired with a moron and can't get past the first picture. 

I tried using this program at my university yesterday and it was inaccessible so you may have trouble using it if you are on a corporate network of some sort. 

No comments: