Friday, December 05, 2008

Happy Birthday Knut


(Knut's 1st Birthday)


The world's most famous polar bear turns two today. You've probably heard the story about his life by now so I won't go into details. I got to see him in the Berlin Zoo last year just a few days after Christmas, and it was great. I got there just as feeding time was starting, I got a spot upfront by the rail and watched him jump in the water and splash around to collect his lunch. Even at the advanced age of just over 1, he was adorable that day. I would share some of the pictures I took that day, but sadly it was an overcast day which messed with my cameras light sensor causing all my pictures to come out blurry. 

Recently there has been speculation that Knut might be sold to another zoo. He is currently owned by the Berlin Zoo, which is owned by the City of Berlin, which is billions of dollars in debt. I guess their can't afford their kleine Eisbär any longer. Some of the rumored cities he could end up in are Hanover, Stockholm and Oslo. As long as he goes somewhere cold I'm sure he'll be fine, but it will be sad to see him leave Berlin. A bear is the symbol of Berlin, it is even on their flag, and to have the world's most famous bear there only seems appropriate. 

3 comments:

Gabriel said...

He is so cute! And, it was really fascinating watching him feed that day.

March2theSea said...

you make it to Boris?

Anonymous said...

Nope.