Monday, September 18, 2006

The Big E

Some for the delay, It's been difficult getting back into the swing of school, work and the real world.

Up until Saturday I'd never been. Every year people encourage me to go visit New England's largest fair, but it took me this long to visit. I don't see the point. There weren't enough animals there. When I go to fairs I like to look at freakishly large cows and swine, and I got neither. There were some normal sized cows, but now swine of any shape, size or variety. The food was over priced. I spent $6 on a small serving of the world worst fried green tomatoes. I know many of my readers hail from the northeast, and like my self probably aren't that familiar with this delicacy of the south. But, you need to know it is an amazingly light and refreshing food when prepared properly. My Atlanta born girlfriend, being a child of the south, has turned me on to this and many other southern foods. She has also shown me the correct way to prepare it, which is a lesson the people of the fair should pay attention too.

It wasn't all bad news. The Maine exhibit was delicious. I had a tasty lobster roll, and some smoked salmon on a stick that was to die for. There was also a GM exhibit of an old GM Futureliner. I also bought some tasty pickles from a booth in the Connecticut exhibit. They're spicy sliced pickles from a place in Fairfield called Mels' Hellish Relish.

Overall I had a good time at the fair. I plan upon going to another fair in October. This one is up in Maine and was featured near the back of the most recent issue of National Geographic Traveler. Apparently it's got some giant Oxen and Cows. And cotton candy made from maple syrup.

A final note. I had no idea there were so many "cowboys" in New England. I've always known Connecticut to be the least New Englandy of the New England States, but I had no idea cowboys and farmer folk were so prevalent. There's just something strange about a guy from Massachusetts wearing a cowboy hat, with super tight Wranglers, big boots, a giant belt buckle and a Carhartt jacket.

2 comments:

March2theSea said...

we took the little ones there a year or two ago. I'd love to go "alone" and poke around. The kids wanted to do the rides mostly and it was a long and expensive day. What is amazing is if you look at the Big E site you can see the # of people there on said days..the day we went it was like 365,000 people..its NUTS.

pog mo thoin said...

How are you doing with the North/South relationship. My sister, also a Choatie, went down South and loves it. I think she is picking up an accent. I think its weird.

BTW - I need to link into you when I get a chance so I don't miss your posts. I like hearing about the Northeast whilst I am in Ireland!