Monday, March 12, 2007

Sparta; 3/10/07 New Haven, CT: Toads Place.


Toads Place is about 20 minutes from my house so I decided to skip the 2 opening bands. I think they were Aloha and meagainstyou. I did end up seeing the last 3 songs from meagainstyou, and I enjoyed it. One cool thing about them was that the singer handed out oranges, bottles of juice and some French bread to the audience. I'm not exactly sure if that's the best way to win over new fans, but I know I was jealous of the guy that got the juice. On to Sparta:

I saw Sparta about 5 years ago on tour supporting their first album, Wiretap Scars. They headlined a 5 band bill, and the ticket was only $5. It was a 5 bands for $5 gimmick. I missed them twice on the Porcelain tour, but luckily I made it this weekend. There really isn't much to say about the show. Nothing really impressed me. They've made line-up changes since then, and their most recent album is pretty weak. Fortunately about half their set was songs from the first album. One thing that really annoyed was their lack of an encore. Both times I've seen them they have not played encores. The first time I assumed it was because 4 other bands had already played, but Saturday night they just walked off stage. If anyone reading this has seen them before, is it common for them to not play encores. Aside from the lack of an encore they didn't play "Cut Your Ribbon" which is arguably their biggest hit. I'm not the kind of music fan that gets down of bands for playing a variety of songs, but hell no encore and no hit, that's kinda weak for a band that's not too big. It was probably the least eventful concert I've been to in years. It felt about an hour long, which means one of two things. 1) They did an excellent job of entertaining us and made the time fly by or 2) they played a really short set and left me wanting more. I think it was #2.

4 comments:

March2theSea said...

Few things..
1) where are your ads?
2) BRMC is playing avalon
3) Sparta- i don't have the new cd. The first 2 were okay but I do have to admit I miss at the drive in.

as far as encores go..if its the norm that is cool. Tool and A Perfect Circle were big on not leaving then coming back etc. SOme of it is cliche..but them not doing Cut Your Ribbons is too bad.

The Guinness Tooth said...

1) I don't know. I turned them on, but they aren't there. I have spring break next week and should fix things like the missing map and links and ads.
2) Already have my BRMC tickets. Have you heard the 2 new songs on their website? I'm liking it.
3) Don't get the new Sparta. The sticker on the front of the CD compared them to U2 & My Chemical Romance in the same sentence. WTF? I should have known it would be a stinker when I read that.

I agree that if it is the norm it is fine, but the set was super short. If I had paid for my ticket I'd probably be even more pissed.

March2theSea said...

under the template there is a tab for "adsense" do you need to click there?

March2theSea said...

you coming up for EITS tonight?