Monday, March 26, 2007

Mew: Paradise Rock Club; Boston: 3/23/07

Friday night I drove up to check out Mew in Boston. I'd never been to the Paradise Rock Club before, and I hadn't heard Mew up until about a month ago, but it was a good idea to go. The opening act was a group called Oh No Oh My, which didn't sit well with me. I just don't trust a band with a name like that, so I showed up late. We only got to the show about 15 minutes before Mew went on stage.

A little background on Mew. They are a Danish band. Umm, thats all I've got. I know they have at least 2 albums to date, but odds are there are more. OK, I just checked wikipedia, and they do in fact have 4 albums. Their latest album in titled "And The Glass Handed Kites."

The show itself was quite entertaining, save for one fact; they weren't touring for "And The Glass Handed Kites" they were touring for their previous albums. Which was just released in the US. I have never heard of a band touring for an old album, even if it was re-released. One of the things I love about the latest album is the way most of the songs don't sound like individual tracks, but just parts of a longer song with various movements. Fortunately they replicated this during the show, for the most part. I would have preferred it had they played more songs for the latest album, but I made due with what I got. I don't know enough about the band to give you and sort of a setlist, so I'll leave it at that.

The band was an odd group of people. The singer looked tremendously like Mark Hammel in profile, which freaked me out. It was like watching Luke Skywalker sing some of my favorite new songs. The keyboardist is a Dr., but they don't say what he is a doctor of. He had long ringlets, and if anything at university has told, physic and chemistry grad students tend to have the awesome-est beards and hair, so I'm guessing it is one of those. The bassist had an odd condor like swaying to the way he played bass. His arms were spread wide, and he just swung back and forth. I couldn't see the drummer, the guitarists monitor was in my way, but the guitarist was the most normal looking dude in the band. Except for the fact that he looks straight out of the 80s, with his trainer mullet and baby mustache.

If you get a chance, check out the latest album, And the Glass Handed Kites.

1 comment:

March2theSea said...

Cool. There was a free iTunes download for one of their songs a few weeks back. It wasn't too bad.