Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Thank You Hollywood!

I really don't care about the Academy Awards. I don't need someone to tell what is a good movie and what isn't a good movie. Just like I don't need the Grammys, well actually I might as well use the Grammys as a way to know what to avoid. God knows how bad the Grammys are at picking decent music. I digress. The Oscars were a total farce for one reason to me this year. Best Original Score went to Babel??? I hope someone that reads this blog has seen Babel, and will agree with me that it was a terrible film. Ok, maybe not as bad as The Fountain, but still pretty awful. The Fountain might be the worst movie I've actually paid to see, but it had the greatest Original Score I've ever heard. I'm sure there are other scores that are equally compelling, such as Zidane, un portrait du 21e siècle, or Hlemmur, but I've yet to hear the first of those two.

Back to Babel. The part of the movie in So Cal and Mexico was good, but probably only because my favorite Mexican actor was featured, Gael Garcia Bernal. The rest of the movie was almost as pretentious as The Fountain. It was as if Brad Pitt wanted nothing more than to make the worst movie of his career. I know he's a great actor, but he should stick to what he does best...Kicking Ass. Come ON. How about another Fight Club, or another Guy Ritchie film, even a sequel to Mr. & Mrs. Smith would've been better than Babel.

The score to The Fountain, wasn't even nominated. Clint Mansel did an amazing job composing the score, and Mogwai with The Kronos Quartet did an even amazinger job of performing the score. I was really tempted to put the score on "My 10 Favorite Albums of 2006" list, but it missed the cut by one spot. However, if I were to make the list today I think it would make the top ten.

No comments: