Friday, June 08, 2007

Deftones, Lupo's, Providence Rhode Island, 6/6/07

If there are two things the Deftones do well it is write and record amazing albums, and play extremely disappointing concerts. This was the third time I've seen the band. It is also the last. I understand that the bands first two albums were very heavy affairs that did little to separate them from the pack of other nu-metalers. However, since then they have put out three excellent albums that sounds almost nothing like their early stuff, in a good way. The first hour of the show I recognized maybe 3 songs (and I have all 5 of their albums), even the songs I knew I didn't recognize until well into the song. I was ready to leave the show after the first 30 minutes. I stuck it out, and the second half of the show was marginally better than the first. If I hadn't driven almost 2 hours to get to Providence I would have left. Had the show been in New Haven or Hartford I would have gone home. I just want to band to play the songs they write. If they want to continue playing only the really heavy stuff, then they should go back to recording the really heavy stuff. Is it too much to ask for a band to play the music off the album they are supporting? I think they played 5 songs from Saturday Night Wrist. If I told you half the songs came from the first two albums, I don't think I'd be exaggerating. I will not pay more than $18 in the future to see this band. That's right, I won't even pay $20. Speaking of $20, for that amount of money you could buy a pre-signed copy of SNW.

2 comments:

March2theSea said...

uggh that is too bad. I saw the band on tour for the first album and have wanted to see them again since. Sorry it was not very good. Was it pretty full in the venue?

The Guinness Tooth said...

The show didn't sell out, I know that much. I got there with about 15 minutes to spare before the deftones took the stage and I had no problem getting a clear view of the stage.