Thursday, October 12, 2006

Maine Rednecks

*Sorry for the delay in postings, my internet went down (again) this weekend.*

This past weekend I took my girlfriend up to Maine for the weekend. Being relatively new to the north she had yet to visit Maine, so we thought we'd make a weekend of it. You may be wondering why we would choose this weekend to visit Maine. Well I have two answers for you; 1) the October issue of National Geographic Traveler touts Maine's Fryeburg Fair as being a wondrous experience, 2) no woman (not even my girlfriend) can pass up outlet shopping, especially in a place like Freeport.

By God were we wrong. The Fryeburg Fair must have been one of the worst experiences of my life. The fair takes place hours from the nearest highway, in what amounts to be a residential area with only 2, maybe 3, small access roads. A 4:20 drive turned into a 7 hour drive because of more traffic than I've ever seen in my entire life, and in the northern reaches of New Hampshire of all places. Once I got into the fair it totally sucked. It was overly crowded. It looked more like a cheap carnival than a fair. And, worst of all, I had to finally admit to my girlfriend that northern rednecks/ white-trash, are in fact much much worse than anything she ever saw growing up in Atlanta, and then living in Alabama. I had and aunt that lived just south of Canada, in Vermont, and I do recall seeing numerous country folk, but never did I realize how back water some of these people are. I expect more from New Englanders. I don't think I've ever seen so many mullets in one place. And I know for a fact I haven't seen that many Insane Clown Posse, and Eminem t-shirts in one place since the late 90s, it ever. No wonder Canadians dislike Americans, we've stuck all our genetic rejects right on their border. One of the main selling points in the article was the amazing food, and specifically maple sugar cotton candy, at the fair. Wow, that sucked too. It tastes like normal cotton candy, although the ear of corn covered in maple syrup was pretty damn good.

The weekend wasn't all bad. We did stay in a fairly nice hotel, which was over an hour from Fryeburg, and Freeport was fun. I bought a kickass winter hat at the LL Bean factory store, and some new socks. The drive back to Connecticut was also fun, no traffic, only a few tolls, and the thought of never having to return to Fryeburg for so long as I shall live.

1 comment:

March2theSea said...

we went to New Hampshire that very weekend. A wait at a resturant at 5pm was like 1hr and 20 minutes. The kids had fun but it was hard to keep a smile on my face a lot of the time